The Israeli military reverses years of denial, confirming troops fired on the vehicle carrying the Gaza girl whose death became a global symbol of civilian suffering.
Israel's military has acknowledged for the first time that its soldiers fired on the car carrying five-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab and members of her family, who were killed in Gaza City on 29 January 2024. The Israel Defense Forces announced on 19 August 2026 that it has opened a criminal investigation into her death and into the killing of two paramedics whose ambulance was destroyed while trying to reach her, marking a significant reversal from the military's earlier denials that its troops were even present at the scene.
The announcement comes more than two years after Hind died of her injuries at around 7:30pm on the day of the attack, according to reporting from Al Jazeera. Her case had already become one of the most widely cited examples of child suffering in the Gaza war, driven in large part by recorded audio of her desperate pleas for help while trapped in the car surrounded by the bodies of her relatives.
From Denial to Admission
For much of the period following the killing, the IDF maintained that no troops had been present in the neighborhood where Hind and her family died and rejected responsibility for the attack, according to Wikipedia's documentation of the case and multiple news reports. That position was directly challenged by a joint investigation from The Washington Post and Sky News, which used satellite imagery and visual evidence to conclude that Israeli tanks were indeed present in the area and that one tank likely fired hundreds of rounds at the family's black Kia.
Separate reporting by Al Jazeera in June 2024, drawing on work from the research organization Forensic Architecture and the NGO Earshot, found that an Israeli tank had fired at close range, positioned an estimated 13 to 23 meters from the vehicle. That investigation also linked the destruction of the Palestine Red Crescent Society ambulance sent to rescue Hind to Israeli tank fire, based on damage patterns consistent with such an attack.
The IDF's new statement, issued Wednesday, says troops "fired at a vehicle that was approaching them" on 29 January 2024. According to summaries of the statement reported by multiple outlets, the military acknowledged that five of the vehicle's occupants were killed as a result of the fire, while Hind and her cousin Layan initially survived the attack. The IDF has said the car was traveling against evacuation routes previously announced to residents, a detail presented as part of its rationale for treating the vehicle as a potential threat.
Two Criminal Investigations, Three Cases Dropped
The IDF's announcement covers criminal inquiries into two separate high-profile incidents. The first is the Hind Rajab case itself, encompassing both the killing of Hind and six family members in their car and the subsequent deaths of two Palestine Red Crescent paramedics whose ambulance was struck while responding to her situation. The military referenced "alleged failures in the coordination of the movement of the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance" as part of the basis for investigating that strike.
The second inquiry concerns the killing of 15 Palestinian paramedics in Rafah in March 2025, an incident that similarly drew international condemnation of Israel's conduct during the war. Both cases have been handed over to the IDF Military Police for criminal investigation following an internal review by the military's Fact-Finding and Assessment Mechanism, according to Reuters reporting carried by AOL and other outlets.
At the same time, the IDF said it would not open criminal investigations into three other incidents that had also drawn international scrutiny, including attacks that killed workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders. The military said its decisions followed a review of roughly 150 incidents involving troop conduct in Gaza, with conclusions reached so far in five cases.
Skepticism Over Accountability
Rights groups and legal observers have responded to the announcement with caution, noting that internal IDF investigations have historically rarely led to convictions even in well-documented cases of civilian deaths. The New York Times reported that the two cases "had spurred international condemnation of the country's conduct in Gaza" but noted that such investigations have rarely produced accountability.
The IDF has said it can provide no further details while the investigations remain ongoing, citing their sensitive and unresolved status. There is no published timeline for when the Military Police inquiries into either the Hind Rajab case or the Rafah medics case might conclude.
A Case That Shaped Global Perception of the War
Hind's case had already been the subject of extensive documentary and journalistic attention before Wednesday's announcement, including a film exploring her final phone calls for help. Her killing, along with the destruction of the ambulance sent to save her, was repeatedly cited by the United Nations in inquiries examining allegations of war crimes and possible violations of international humanitarian law by Israel during the Gaza war, allegations Israel has strongly denied.
The admission now provides an official acknowledgment that aligns with years of independent forensic and journalistic findings, even as the ultimate outcome of the newly opened criminal investigations remains uncertain. International inquiries, including those conducted by UN bodies, are expected to continue examining the case independently of the IDF's internal process.