Four Track Workers Killed by Spacia X Express Train at Shin-Kanuma Station

Four Track Workers Killed by Spacia X Express Train at Shin-Kanuma Station
Abhishek Roy
Author
August 21, 2026 • 4 min read
Four railway maintenance workers were killed when a limited-express train struck them at Shin-Kanuma Station in Tochigi Prefecture. Authorities are investigating how the collision occurred despite safety personnel on site.

Tobu Railway confirms four workers died and no passengers were hurt as investigation into the Tochigi Prefecture accident continues.

Four male railway maintenance workers in their 50s and 60s were killed on Thursday, August 20, 2026, after a Tobu Railway Spacia X limited-express train struck them as it entered Shin-Kanuma Station on the Tobu Nikko Line in Kanuma, Tochigi Prefecture, north of Tokyo. The men were performing vegetation control work, described by various outlets as weeding, clearing weeds or spraying herbicide, on or near the tracks under the station platform when the inbound express hit them at around 10:45 a.m. local time. Tobu Railway confirmed the deaths, and authorities said approximately 50 passengers aboard the six-car train were uninjured.

Emergency services received a call reporting that workers had been struck by a train at the station shortly after the collision occurred. First responders found three of the men on or under the tracks and one on the platform, according to local officials. All four were transported to hospitals in critical condition, with at least one report indicating they were unconscious during transport, but they were later confirmed dead.

Victims Identified as Local Tochigi Residents

Jiji Press has identified the four victims as Kazuyoshi Ishikawa, 67, and Toshihiko Watanabe, 65, both of Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture, along with Shigenobu Oke, 53, and Kazunari Sato, 54, both of Nikko, also in Tochigi Prefecture. The men were part of a maintenance crew assigned to vegetation control duties along the Nikko Line, a route that connects the greater Tokyo area with the tourist destinations around Nikko.

Reports describe the group as including workers and a supervisor tasked with removing weeds or applying herbicide on and around the tracks. Tobu Railway said seven workers in total were carrying out the task at the site, including the four who were struck. Other accounts describe a larger work party of up to ten people, including additional workers, lookout personnel and an on-site supervisor, all of whom were reported safe following the incident.

Spacia X Express and Service Disruption

The train involved was a six-car Spacia X limited-express operating a service from Tobu Nikko Station to Tobu Asakusa Station in Tokyo. The Spacia X is a relatively new premium express service operated by Tobu Railway, primarily serving tourist routes to Nikko and Kinugawa, and is classified as a limited express, the second-fastest category of passenger train in Japan behind the Shinkansen bullet trains.

Following the collision, Tobu Railway suspended train services between Shin-Tochigi and Shimo-Imaichi stations on the Nikko Line while emergency crews and investigators worked at the scene. Services resumed at approximately 3:22 p.m. the same day after inspections were completed. The company said no derailment occurred and that the roughly 50 passengers aboard the express were not injured.

Investigation Into Safety Procedures Underway

Tochigi Prefectural Police and local fire authorities have opened an investigation into the cause and circumstances of the accident, focusing on how the workers came to be on the tracks as the express train entered the station. Investigators are examining the safety procedures governing track access during maintenance work, communication between the crew, lookout staff and train operations control, and the precise positions of the workers at the moment of impact.

Some broadcast reports indicate that a lookout had signaled that the tracks were clear before the train arrived, a detail that raises questions about how the warning system failed to prevent the collision. Tobu Railway has said it is cooperating fully with authorities and confirmed the basic sequence of events, though the company has not yet detailed any specific procedural failures. Investigators are expected to scrutinize whether standard maintenance protocols, including exclusive track possession and minimum clearance times ahead of train arrivals, were properly followed.

A Rare Breach in Japan's Rail Safety Record

International and domestic outlets covering the accident have consistently framed it against Japan's reputation for an exceptionally strong rail safety record, noting that fatal incidents involving maintenance crews and passenger trains are rare occurrences in the country's tightly regulated rail system. The presence of a supervisor and lookout personnel at the work site suggests that established safety protocols were in place, yet the collision still occurred, prompting scrutiny of how those measures were implemented on the day.

No source has yet reported specific regulatory penalties, legal action, or changes to national rail safety standards stemming from the accident. Such developments are likely to follow once the police and Tobu Railway investigations produce findings on the sequence of events and any lapses in coordination between the maintenance crew and train operations.

Follow StreakShot on Google. Get insightful explainers, sharp opinions, and in-depth latest news on everything from geopolitics and technology to World News. Stay informed with the latest perspectives only on StreakShot.

Tags
Tobu Railway Spacia X train Shin-Kanuma Station Tochigi Prefecture Japan rail safety
First Published: Aug 21, 2026, 09:47:26 IST
Home / World / Four Track Workers Killed by Spacia X Express Train at Shin-Kanuma Station

🔥 Trending Stories

Jurors Hear Keffe D's 2008 Recording Naming Nephew as Tupac Shakur's Shooter
Jurors Hear Keffe D's 2008 Recording Naming Nephew as Tupac Shakur's Shooter

Jurors in Duane 'Keffe D' Davis's murder trial heard a 2008 recording in which he named his nephew as Tupac Shakur's shooter. The defense insists Davis's own accounts should not be believed.

Aug 21, 2026
Disney Reveals 15-Title MCU Watchlist Ahead Of Avengers: Doomsday Release
Disney Reveals 15-Title MCU Watchlist Ahead Of Avengers: Doomsday Release

Disney and Marvel have circulated a 15-title MCU watchlist to help fans prepare for Avengers: Doomsday. The list spans X-Men films through Loki and recent MCU releases.

Aug 21, 2026
Diamondbacks Move Ketel Marte From Restricted List To Injured List Over Knee
Diamondbacks Move Ketel Marte From Restricted List To Injured List Over Knee

Ketel Marte is being transferred from the restricted list to the 10-day injured list with knee and hamstring inflammation. The Diamondbacks say they expect him back once healthy.

Aug 21, 2026