Pentagon Casualty Database Shows More Than 750 US Troops Wounded in Iran War

Pentagon Casualty Database Shows More Than 750 US Troops Wounded in Iran War
Sonam Rana
Author
August 22, 2026 • 5 min read
The Pentagon's casualty database now shows 756 U.S. service members wounded and 18 killed in the Iran war. The updated figures, reported by multiple outlets, push the combined toll past 774.

Updated Pentagon data reveals the war's human cost has crossed a new threshold, even as classification changes complicate tracking the total.

The Pentagon's official casualty database now shows that more than 750 U.S. service members have been wounded since the war against Iran began on February 28, 2026, according to updated figures reported this week by The Washington Post and independently corroborated by the Associated Press, CNN and The Hill. The Defense Casualty Analysis System, the department's system of record for war casualties, lists 756 wounded and 18 killed, for a combined total of 774 reported by the Washington Post, while AP and CNN cited a slightly higher figure of 757 wounded and 18 killed, putting the combined total at 775 in some reports. The discrepancy of one appears tied to the exact timing of each outlet's database snapshot, as the Pentagon continued updating the system through the week.

The update came after the department added dozens of newly counted wounded service members to its tally in recent days. Stars and Stripes reported that the Pentagon added 60 wounded troops in its most recent revision, while The Hill reported the department updated its database with another 50 injured service members this week. The exact size of the latest addition varies slightly by source, but all point to the same underlying trend: the war's official wounded count has grown sharply since late July.

How the Toll Climbed Over Six Months

The casualty figures have risen steadily and unevenly since the war's opening days. Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in March that around 140 U.S. service members had been wounded during the first ten days of fighting, with eight severely injured and 108 already returned to duty. By early April, the wounded count had reached 265, according to Pentagon data reported by the Associated Press, with 247 of those from the Army.

The toll continued climbing through the summer. AP reported the wounded count near 400 by mid-July, coinciding with the death of a Navy pilot in a helicopter crash in the Arabian Sea that brought the death toll to 14. By late July, following a renewed wave of Iranian strikes that began July 7, Parnell said nearly 100 additional service members had been injured, with 96% returning to duty and most injuries described as minor concussions. The Guardian and BBC reported the combined wounded total reached 624 by July 25–27, with the death toll at 18.

Database Reclassification Draws Scrutiny

The rising numbers have been complicated by changes to how the Pentagon categorizes casualties. AP reported that in late July, the Defense Casualty Analysis System removed four fallen soldiers and dozens of wounded troops from its Iran war tally, introducing a new "Overseas Operations" category that separated some casualties from the original "Operation Epic Fury" designation. The Intercept reported that when the new Overseas Operations page was combined with the existing DCAS page for the Iran war, the official count stood at 704 as of early August, an 83% increase in casualties since April 8.

Critics have said the reclassification obscures the true human cost of the conflict. The Washington Post's earlier reporting argued the changes could have long-term implications for survivors and made it harder to track the war's toll in a single, consistent figure. AP reported that Democrats have called for a full accounting after discrepancies emerged between the database and earlier public statements from Pentagon officials.

Breakdown of the Wounded and Limited Operational Detail

Of the 757 service members reported wounded as of the latest AP count, more than 580 are Army soldiers, the largest share by far. The remaining wounded include 86 sailors, 64 airmen and 19 Marines, according to AP's breakdown of the updated Pentagon data. This distribution roughly mirrors earlier patterns; in April, 247 of 265 wounded were Army soldiers, with smaller numbers from the Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force.

Despite the rising numbers, the Pentagon and U.S. Central Command have disclosed few operational details about where or how the injuries occurred. AP reported that the department and CENTCOM have offered "almost no details" on the circumstances of many of the injuries or the extent of damage sustained at U.S. bases and installations targeted by Iranian retaliation strikes across the region.

What the Numbers Mean Going Forward

The latest update does not simply mark another incremental rise in a running tally; it renews attention on how the Pentagon counts and categorizes wartime casualties nearly six months into the conflict. The Washington Post's reporting framed the jump to 774 combined casualties as evidence that the department added "scores of new troops to the wounded list in the last few days," a phrase that underscores how quickly the figures have moved even in a single week.

With the war ongoing and the database subject to further revision, the precise wounded count remains a moving target. Outlets covering the story have generally settled on describing the toll as "more than 750," while noting that the exact figure — 756 or 757 wounded, alongside 18 killed — depends on which Pentagon database snapshot is used and when it was pulled.

Follow StreakShot on Google. Get insightful explainers, sharp opinions, and in-depth latest news on everything from geopolitics and technology to World News. Stay informed with the latest perspectives only on StreakShot.

Tags
Iran war casualties Pentagon casualty database US troops wounded Defense Casualty Analysis System Operation Epic Fury
First Published: Aug 22, 2026, 09:06:11 IST
Home / World / Pentagon Casualty Database Shows More Than 750 US Troops Wounded in Iran Wa...

🔥 Trending Stories

US National Debt Surpasses $40 Trillion, Forcing Washington Fiscal Reckoning Sooner Than Expected
US National Debt Surpasses $40 Trillion, Forcing Washington Fiscal Reckoning Sooner Than Expected

The U.S. national debt has officially surpassed $40 trillion, Treasury Department data confirm, arriving months earlier than forecasters expected. A bond market sell-off and surging interest costs are now compounding the fiscal pressure on Washington.

Aug 23, 2026
Harry and Meghan's California Entertainment Ambitions Fade, New York Times Reports
Harry and Meghan's California Entertainment Ambitions Fade, New York Times Reports

A New York Times feature examines how Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Hollywood ambitions have fallen short since their 2020 move to California. Multiple outlets echo the assessment of fading star power and reduced entertainment deals.

Aug 23, 2026
SEBI Proposes Stricter Advertisement Code For Online Bond Platforms To Curb Misleading Claims
SEBI Proposes Stricter Advertisement Code For Online Bond Platforms To Curb Misleading Claims

SEBI has proposed a revised advertisement code for online bond platforms to curb misleading claims. The consultation paper seeks public comments until September 11, 2026.

Aug 23, 2026